One of my FAVORITE dinners in SD is Cucina Enoteca's Short Rib Pappardelle. (Must try if you haven't yet) I figured I'd try to make a copy cat and after playing around with a few different recipes and ingredients, I got this! SUPER quick prep, throw it in the slow cooker and the rest is easy!
2.5 lbs bone in short ribs
1 red onion diced
2 medium carrots diced
5 garlic cloves peeled and smashed
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 can San Marzano tomatoes (I buy the one with basil added)
1 block of pecorino Romano cheese
1. Season short ribs evenly with salt.
2. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
3. Sear short ribs until golden brown on all sides. About 10 min. Place in slow cooker bone down when finished.
4. Add 1 tsp salt, red onion, carrot, and garlic to the pan and cook until the vegetables begin to soften. About 3 min.
5. Add cocoa powder and wine. Stir constantly for about 1 min.
6. Pour the mixture into the slow cooker.
7. Crush San Marzano tomatoes by hand and add to slow cooker along with the rind of Pecorino Romano cheese. I grated some cheese in there as well.
8. Cook on low for 5 1/2-6 hours.
9. When ready, shred the meat with a fork and add back to sauce. Make sure all bones are removed. *I also added some cornstarch to thicken the sauce.
10. Stir in your pasta of choice! I used pappardelle.